Thank you for chairing a session at the 2019 Australasian Computer Science Week.
Whilst we don’t anticipate any changes please check the program again here prior to your session.
Below are some tips to assist you with the chairing process. Most importantly, please ensure you start and finish all presentations on time and keep to the order in the program.
Before the Session
- All presentation titles and speaker names will be available on the ACSW 2019 website, where supplied.
- Where supplied, biographies and abstracts for invited speakers will also be available on the ACSW 2019 website prior to the conference.
- Review the presentation titles and presenters for your session which are available via the online program.
- A printed copy of presenter names and presentation titles will be provided in each room for the session chair. Please use this information to introduce the speakers.
- Check the timing of each presentation for the session you are Chairing in the program, different sessions have different time allocations.
- Please go to your session room 15 minutes prior to the start time to meet the presenters, to familiarise yourself with the room and to introduce yourself to the AV technician allocated to your room. There will be technicians roaming between the session rooms to help load presentation files and to trouble shoot any technical issues should they arise.
- Presenters will load their presentation slides in the room prior to their presentation.
- Presenters will be asked to sit in the front row of the room, so they can move to the lectern quickly at the end of the previous presentation.
- Advise the speakers to keep to time and explain you will ask them to end their presentation if they run over time.
- Advise presenters that you will be signalling the time and ringing the bell when they have to stop.
- There will be a space reserved for the session chair in the front row of each room with time cards (5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute), and a bell for signalling the end of each presentation.
- You will be advised of any housekeeping items or program updates by the registration staff or committee. Please announce these at the beginning of the session.
- In larger rooms there will be a Q&A microphone. Ask a member of the audience to be a microphone ‘runner’, if required, or direct delegates asking questions to go to the microphone.
During the Session
- Begin the session on time and ask that all electronic devices are turned to silent.
- Please use your phone to keep to time. Your phone is more accurate than having individual clocks.
- Advise the speaker you will ring the bell once their time is up.
- Please use the lectern microphone to introduce the presenters and at the end of the presentation for questions.
- Introduce each presentation with the title and the presenter/s name.
- If a presentation is withdrawn or a presenter does not arrive do not bring the next presentation forward, use the time for questions. Delegates will be planning to come to your session based on the published session times. You will be given further instructions by the Conference Organisers, if an alternative presentation can be arranged in time.
- Ensure each session starts and finishes on time. The length of each presentation is listed in the program.
- If time allows, at the end of each presentation, asks the audience for any questions and be prepared to ask a question if no questions are forthcoming.
- Do not ask any questions if the presenter has used all their allocated time.
- At the conclusion of the session, thank the presenters.
- If you have any queries, please direct these to the registration desk during the conference, or email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the conference.